What is the connection between Geometry and Islamic art?
April 24, 2016
A visual exploration of geometric design rooted in traditions in Islamic Art and tied with historical periods of scientific and mathematical advancements in the region – between the 9-12th century. This presentation goes into detail on the mathematical origins of star patterns and ways that such complexities reflect on Divine Order. Examples from Al Hambra and Fez tell stories of this Ancient Art its technique and modern interpretations.
Sources & Future References
- New York Times: History’s Hands by Randy Kennedy
- Aramco World Magazine: Zilij in Fez, by Louis Werner
- TedEd: The Complex Geometry of Islamic Design, By Eric Broug
- Maslaha: Islamic Patterns and Sacred Geometry
- GRAIL: UW Graphics and Imagining Laboratory
- The MET
- The Art of Islamic Pattern
If you would like to contact the presenter directly, please email us at afikra and we will connect you!